Friday, July 19, 2013

Just planting seeds at this time. Used flattened cardboard boxes on the paths for free weed control. Planted: swiss chard, corn, 3 types of beans, cucumbers, winter squash, herbs, tomatoes, radishes, turnips, pumpkin, summer squash, sunflowers.
I was worried that I wouldn't have a garden at all this year due to the severe drought and the hungry animals eating everyone's gardens. I felt sorry for the rabbits, mice and squirrels so I put out water and bird seed for them. Turns out - they didn't eat my garden! Have a gopher, tried the usual gopher sound sticks, repellants. Nothing really worked.  I couldn't bring myself to kill the gopher. My philosophy is one of cooperation and harmony with nature, like www.Findhorn.org. So when "Gophie" pulls down a plant (and it's really not that often), I make sure the whole plant gets down into it's tunnel for it. In other words, I'm feeding the gopher, too. Gophie and I work as a team: I over-plant and Gophie thins out the plants. Call me crazy.....but I'm one of the few people who has a great garden this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment