Monday, February 17, 2014



    One day old babies...
                                    Chicks at an Art Opening, everyone's a critic!

Three new one-day old baby chicks, so adorable!! My older chickens are now 3 years old. Production places would "cull" the flock but I've nurtured my chickens since they were a day old and I just cannot kill them. Not sensible farming, but what the heck. So, I'm adding to the flock. I now have 8 different types of chickens, 10 total.

 The first night when the one-day old baby chicks were in their box with everything they needed: heat lamp, water, soft rag, food, they wouldn't stop peeping. And they got very loud and insistent.  So, to be a good mother hen, I wrapped them in an old soft dishcloth, went back to bed and tucked them under my chin. They instantly fell asleep, very content chickies. I put them in the box later and they just fell back asleep.  

I do this every day both in the am & pm. It's too funny...they immediately close their eyes, their little heads start nodding and then they out sound asleep. It's very, very peaceful for all of us. Even the 2 dogs sleeping on my bed seem to like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment