Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Bittersweet Moment....

When I recently took down my 8' tall corn plants to chop them up to fill the compost bins, I realized how sad it is to destroy the garden every Fall. But I think every gardener also feels a sense of relief and a welcoming to the rest that Winter brings.
Compost Tips: Here in a dry climate, it's not so easy to compost but this system works really well.
1. I made for a double compost bin out of free wooden pallets with chicken wire inside (to prevent the straw from falling through the slats). On the front side it has 2 doors that swing out. It's easy to fill and easy to empty. 
2. I got red worms from my friend Sam at the Farmer's Market. This has been extremely helpful as I no longer have to turn the compost over AND the worms like lots of straw. Once I got my chickens, having the compost bins gave me a good place to put the dirty straw from the hen house.
3. In the Fall, I layer the dead zucchini, tomato, corn, etc. plants with apple peelings, or whatever and lots of the chicken manure straw.
4. I soak each layer with water. Cover with straw and let the worms do the work of creating rich compost. Every Spring, I am amazed at the rich soil they have made from garbage!

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, thanks for sharing your work, your gardening, your paintings and helpful tips!! -Michael

    ReplyDelete