Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tips for Preserving Food: Jams and Pickles,etc.

Pickling

Another way I found to deal with zucchini is making zucchini pickles. You brine the sliced zucchini and onions, make a vinegar, mustard and turmeric mix and pour it over your zucchini in a jar, screw on a lid and refrigerate. I also add dill from the garden. Google: zuni café zucchini pickles for the recipe.

Fermentation

Kim Chee has many variations, but basically is cabbage, carrots, radishes, with a garlic, ginger, chili powder, and vinegar mix. It is a great way to use up these vegetables. You brine the cabbage, add the spice mixture to the vegetables and leave the jar on your counter with a towel over it to ferment for 7-10 days. Then screw on a lid and refrigerate. Google Kim Chee for recipes.

Jams

High acid fruit jams, like apricot jam do not need a hot water bath. One year I made 75 jars and I was sold out of them in two weeks, yummy! There are lots of recipes on line, but I use the pink Sure Jell recipe, which is the lower sugar one (plenty sweet). After I fill the sterilized jars with the hot jam, I turn them upside down on a clean towel for a half hour. When I turn them right side up, the jars are sealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment